The Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD) inspires, supports, and educates students and alumni to develop their full potential as creative entrepreneurs, locate staff and freelance opportunities, and succeed as fine art practitioners. Career advisors work with students on professional learning goals for internships and career goals for their job search so Pratt students and alumni can navigate the path from college to career with clarity, competence, and confidence.
CCPD staff members stay abreast of changing trends and employer needs, and guide Pratt students into an easy transition from college into the work environment. We maintain relationships with employers and internship providers nationally and internationally, and offer many ways for employers to reach and recruit from the talented Pratt community.
The CCPD provides the following resources designed to foster meaningful connections between emerging artists and professionals:
Professional Development Programming
- Career advisors welcome classroom visits to the CCPD and offer presentations on resume building, networking, interviewing skills, developing an online presence, portfolio presentation, self-promotion, freelancing, starting your own business, and the Working Artist Seminar.
- Guest speakers and recruiters are invited to speak on careers in creative industries, review portfolios, and hold interview sessions.
- Extended support is offered in the areas of exhibition submissions, grants, fellowships ,and residencies.
- Two new initiatives—the Meditation Incubator project and Startup Sessions—offer students tools and advice for approaching their entrepreneurial goals and creative practices with both an intuitive and a strategic mindset.
Individual and Group Career Advising
- Career advising is available to Pratt students and alumni for life. All CCPD staff has backgrounds as working creatives in major-related industries.
- The CCPD offers two career assessment services to students: Meyers-Briggs Type Inventory (MBTI©) and Strong Interest Inventory©. These types of assessments can help students identify their interests, skills and values in order to make more informed decisions, including which major or professional development opportunities (internships, jobs, etc.) to pursue. Students interested in conducting either of these assessments should contact the CCPD ([email protected]) the schedule an advising session first.
Industry Outreach and Pratt Pro Job Board
- The CCPD manages the Pratt Pro job board for Students/Alumni and Employers—thousands of new positions are posted each year. We perform outreach to employers around the world to develop a pipeline to help move Pratt students and alumni into their job openings.
- We visit studios and organize firm trips for students to learn about the latest industry trends.
- Each year, the CCPD hosts opportunity fairs, roundtable discussions, and creative career conferences with visiting partners, recruiters and industry leaders.
Portfolio Reviews and Exhibitions
- Pratt Institute hosts numerous portfolio reviews and thesis exhibitions of current and graduating student work, including the end of year Pratt Design highlighting the best of the graduating class.
- Additionally, you are encouraged to view the work of the entire Pratt community, students, alumni, and faculty at Pratt Institute Portfolios.
The CCPD is happy to help you and welcomes your questions. Please contact us at [email protected] or call 718.636.3506.
Center for Career and Professional Development
200 Willoughby Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11205
Brooklyn: East Building, Room 001
Manhattan: Room 207
email: [email protected]
Monday–Friday 9 AM–5 PM
Monday–Friday 9 AM–4 PM (Summer)
Learn more about our staff and their roles on the CCPD Staff page.